Between 1612 and 1615, the paper mill was built in Radomysl by the monks of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra. It was also built as a defense structure to fight back enemies, mainly Crimean Tatars. But its main purpose was to produce paper for books printed in the Lavra’s typography. In the middle of the 17th c, during the War of Independence of Ukraine or maybe in the period of the Ruin that followed the war, the paper mill was destroyed. In 1902, a new building was made upon the remains of the old paper mill using its stones. The architect was Pekarski, a Polish engineer. Since then, the former paper mill was used as a flour mill. It had been working up to 1989, and then it was abandoned and turned into the town’s dump.
In 2007, Mrs. Olga Bogomolets, MD, a well-known Ukrainian doctor and civic activist, acquired the old mill and started its reconstruction – that’s how the Radomysl Castle was born. 60 tons of garbage were taken away from the place. The adjacent territory was turned into Landscape Park. Repair and reconstruction works were carried out in accordance with old technologies. Apartments of the Castle were arranged, preserving the style of the 17-19th cc.
Today the Radomysl Castle is open for visitors and guests. Cultural events, festivals and concerts, wedding ceremonies are held there.